Residents who need help:
- Verizon has cell phone stations to charge and has phones to use at Canton Junior High School.
- Mercy Chefs is set up to provide meals to residents and first responders at Red Cross Shelter at First United Methodist Church in Canton (600 S. Buffalo St.)
- Restaurants providing meals: Canton’s Cafe is offering free food to all emergency responders, police, and firemen May 1 from noon-3 p.m.
- The Salvation Army has a mobile kitchen at the First United Methodist Church in Canton, providing meals to those in need. It is expected to be there for several days.
If you want to help or volunteer
- Brookshire’s will match your contributions up to $10,000 in gift card donations (from Brookshire’s, Fresh, and/or Super 1), totaling $20,000 to the Tornado Relief Effort to help families need!
- Gift cards can be delivered to the KGLY Studio or a KGLY Road Trip!
[x_button shape=”rounded” size=”small” float=”none” href=”https://myliftworship.com/gift-cards-for-canton/” info=”none” info_place=”top” info_trigger=”hover”]HERE’S THE COMPLETE LIST OF DROPOFF LOCATIONS[/x_button]
- Donate these items ONLY: laundry detergent, new blankets, new pillows and new towels. Drop off at the KGLY Studio. KGLY’s ministry partner, First United Methodist Church in Canton and Van Zandt , will distribute these items. Note: KGLY’s ministry partner needs only the items above. KGLY cannot accept other items.
- Call the Tornado Cleanup Hotline to volunteer:
[x_button shape=”rounded” size=”small” float=”none” href=”tel:18004511954″ info=”none” info_place=”top” info_trigger=”hover”]TORNADO CLEANUP HOTLINE – 1-800-451-1954[/x_button]
- [x_button shape=”rounded” size=”small” float=”none” href=”https://www.facebook.com/Van-Zandt-County-Tornado-2017-1846869148970245/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE” info=”none” info_place=”top” info_trigger=”hover”]VISIT THE VAN ZANDT COUNTY TORNADO RELIEF FACEBOOK PAGE[/x_button] for more information about the tornado relief efforts.
- Peace officers are asked to help the community,.
- Uniformed officers, patrol, or POV with lights need to meet at the Law Enforcement Command Post, located at the TxDOT facility at FM 1255, just south of Interstate 20.
- Briefings will be every 12 hours at 5:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.
- Van Zandt officials say marked units will be better, but bring anything you have.
- Peace officers: Please get permission from your department supervisor before coming to Canton.
- The day shift for Monday, May 1, is covered, but help is needed for Monday’s night shift.
- Peace officers need to contact the Van Zandt Sheriff’s Office at 903-567-4133. Ask for Captain Scharfenberg for more information.
Lost and Found Pets
- If you have a lost animal, please take it to the Sears location in Canton. Nicholas Pet Haven will also be in the area and other areas. If you find an injured or stray animal, please contact Nicholas Pet Haven at 903-312-7585. Dr. Gary Spence of Spence and White Veterinary will also be available to help.
- The Canton Police Dept. has instructed Dr. Haven to set up at The Home Store, located at 1190 South Trade Days Blvd. #2.
- If you have lost or found an animal, please send NPH a Facebook message with photos or visit the listed location.
- Animals with severe injuries will be taken to Dr. Spence and White Veterinary Hospital in Tyler and the Van Zandt Animal Care Center in Wills Point.
- For assistance, call 903-312-7585.
- NPH will post pictures of found animals.
Other key information:
- Road conditions and traffic updates: [x_button shape=”rounded” size=”regular” float=”none” href=”https://www.facebook.com/txdot” info=”none” info_place=”top” info_trigger=”hover”]TXDOT FACEBOOK[/x_button] or [x_button shape=”rounded” size=”regular” float=”none” href=”https://www.twitter.com/txdottyler” info=”none” info_place=”top” info_trigger=”hover”]TXDOT TWITTER[/x_button]
- A warehouse is needed to store donations and goods!
- For more information, call 903-510-9267.
- Canton, Fruitvale, and Eustace schools will be closed Monday, May 1.
If you know any groups helping, please post below. Thanks! The best thing to do now is stay away from the area.
[x_button shape=”rounded” size=”regular” float=”none” href=”https://myliftworship.com/category/kvne-blogs/heard-on-air/” info=”none” info_place=”top” info_trigger=”hover”]READ ALL HEARD ON AIR BLOGS[/x_button]